Glamablog by Anna Christie - Sydney, Australia

For glamorous thinking women, aged 20 to 100.

Sunday 22 May 2011

23 year old denim jacket back in action

Often one hears advice for decluttering one’s wardrobe, which usually includes the exhortation to throw away any garment you have not worn for one or two years, or even in the  case of one self-appointed expert, TWO MONTHS! If you have to throw away clothes that you have not worn for two months, it suggests that you have very dysfunctional shopping behaviour and the wardrobe memory equivalent to the memory of a goldfish.
If I had followed such advice. I would have long ago thrown away the heavy denim Scanlan and Theodore double breasted jacket that has been lying in wait since I last wore it, about 16 years ago. I would not even recall how old this jacket is, if it were not for the custom designed gold buttons with “Scanlan and Theodore 1993” in raised lettering.
1993 jacket makes 2011 come-back
Now, 18 years after buying it, the double-breasted denim jacket has come into its own in a big way, being my main jacket on a sailing trip through the Greek Islands. Sturdy, the perfect weight for chilly spring nights on the yacht or even during a sporty daytime sail with a stiff breeze,  it also worked well for a sunset drink at an island bar, while drinking ouzo on ice and watching the sun go down in the west, and shortly after, the full moon rising in the south east. That was last Sunday night in Hydra.
I do not have a giant wardrobe, and I like to keep things stored well, so what is it about that jacket that made it worth keeping?
It is a well constructed garment, well-stitched and made of a strong dark denim. But these qualities alone were not enough to warrant keeping it. The clincher was the fact that it fastens tight at the high waistline, pushing the bosom up and creating a good silhouette. No butch bomber jacket this, with awkward clumpy stitching and bulky seams. This was a keepable garment.
It was lurking on a large hanger in the depths of my wardrobe when the time came to plan my holiday wardrobe.
Holiday wardrobes are always a challenge I relish. Unlike when at home, with all of your clothes and accessories available to satisfy your every mood, on holidays you have a limited number of items, and a limited palette.

Hydra by night

The travel palette
Much as I Iove summer (and winter) white, it is not a good colour to travel with. Laundry facilities when on the road are never of the level of finesse that I require to maintain my precious wardrobe. White cotton shorts, linen pants and other white/cream garments were straight away eliminated (although I did pack one cream linen and lace dress for parties and special occasions, a Sonia Rykiel naval-inspired white cotton long-sleeved top and a cream stretch ankle length skirt which doubles as strapless dress).
The basic colours of my travel wardrobe are navy, black and red with some highlights. Denim really works.
Red Birkenstock sandals reinforced this theme, along with red nail varnish.
Some primary coloured silk and cotton scarves are providing an injection of colour.
Double-denim - how far can you go?

Anonymous double-denim wearer

When travelling, one may consider wearing outfits that are possibly unthinkable in one’s home town… for example, “double-denim”. Double-denim, the wearing of denim jeans or skirt together with denim jacket, has long been regarded as an unacceptable wardrobe sin. That was until about a season ago, when all the fashion magazines started to promote the look, which had been out of favour since the 1970s.
My foray into double-denim has occurred under the cover of anonymity in foreign places, where I walk unrecognised. I am going to give double-denim a good thrashing and get it out of my system before I return to Sydney.  Actually it’s not too bad in northern Spring 2011.
I do, however, draw the line. When going out with my husband KP, he wore denim jeans too. Hmm...Triple-denim.  A step too far, I think.
There is always something you pack but do not wear
When travelling, there are always a garment or two that are not worn. Packing for a holiday is not an exact science. One never knows exactly what to expect in micro-climates, social occasions, mood, and incidents such as accidental soiling or wardrobe malfunction.
So far, the items that are not being worn are those that are too warm or too formal.
Gaps in the wardrobe can be filled while travelling. I picked up an adorable, delicate layered ankle length cotton skirt from the local market that received a good initiation. It was just 20 euro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments for Glamablog.