Glamablog by Anna Christie - Sydney, Australia

For glamorous thinking women, aged 20 to 100.

Saturday 26 March 2011

Portmans guipure cotton lace skirt story

One of the sad things about getting older is that you can no longer take advantage of young gals clothing stores, which offer the latest styles for very reasonable prices. I am talking stores like Portmans, which in case you haven't noticed lately, has really updated its look and I really like some of the latest offerings.


So much so, that recently I walked straight into a Portmans store (Pitt St Mall, Sydney) and picked up a $79 cafe-au-lait guipure cotton lace mini-skirt with chunkyish bronze visible zipper at back. The whole experience from viewing the skirt in the window, trying it on, purchasing it and walking out, took about 10 minutes.


For those who don't know me very well, I am a big lace nut - have been so ever since the 1980's when lace made a gigantic comeback with the New Romantics ( that was post-punk). 


I am always looking for nice lace pieces to add to my collection, especially guipure lace  because I love the texture.


The new skirt made its debut at a dinner party at Randa's at Coogee. Compliments all round, and friends were saying - "that's not from Portmans!" "I've gotta check out Portmans" etc.  So far so good until I got into the back seat of the car (having offered Sean to sit in the front with Geoff, me and Suzi in the back) and a car seat button hooked onto the lace a ripped a grapefruit size hole in it! Oh woe!


Suzi's immediate problem solving was: just go back and buy another one. You love it, it's great value, just do it. Laura added encouragment, suggesting I ask for a discount.


I now have two skirts: one is perfect and will be kept safe from the evil Volvo car seat buttons. The other has now been patched with a silk organza customer patch in my favourite shape - the heart.


I made the patch using a remnant from a Trelize Cooper pinky red silk organza top that fell apart about 5 years ago. Using a paper stencil I made graduated size heart shapes that I hand- and machine-stitched over the gaping hole, as well as one on the back/inside of the skirt.


New skirty will have another outing to a BBQ tonight.


The only down side of this skirt is its length. Unsurprisingly, one of the reasons youth brands are cheaper is they use less fabric. I am really pushing it to wear such a short skirt. Check out the pictures for yourselves!


Age-appropriate dress is a very big topic - one I shall leave for another day! 







Check out Portmans web site

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments for Glamablog.