Glamablog by Anna Christie - Sydney, Australia

For glamorous thinking women, aged 20 to 100.

Sunday 3 April 2011

Baited like a toothless bear? - the John Galliano story

In late March the fashion news broke that coutourier John Galliano, the celebrated long-time creative head of the House of Dior, had disgraced himself in two shameful public incidents - leading to his immediate sacking.
Fashion lovers know him as the petit exotic Englisher of Spanish extraction who blasted onto the high fashion scene during the 1980s with his costume-influenced, retro and themed collections. Non-fashion lovers may know of him only because the fashion lovers in their midst are reacting with shock and disappointment at events.  
Galliano is facing criminal charges under French anti-racial vilification laws.
You can see the mobile phone video that was taken by his accusers, verbally abused by Galliano when they were drinking at the same bar, in Paris’ fashionable and multicultural Marais district.


During the short video he is asked by a woman, "Are you blond, with blue eyes?" to which he replies: "No, but I love Hitler, and people like you would be dead today. Your mothers, your forefathers, would be...gassed and...dead."
Despite the hideousness of these words, many friends, business associates, models and clients have been firm in their support for John Galliano the man. While he undoubtedly said those  words, his sympathisers call for understanding.
Very clearly, he is a sick, sick man. The video shows him slurring, puffy, making ugly distorted facial expressions. He is obviously very drunk, and alone.  Instead of his usual sensuous, elegant, attractive - and camp - attire, he is wearing a comical Pulcinella-like collar and cap. The accusers can be clearly heard giggling and teasing him, as people once would tease a dancing bear. 

I don’t wish to make excuses for Galliano, as some others have done. In particular New York stylist and designer Patricia Field (Sex and the City) has blitzed the internet defending Galliano against two-faced critics. Field described Galliano’s videotaped behavior as “farce” and said she was bewildered that people in the fashion community have not recognised it as such. "It’s theatre," she is reported as saying. "It’s farce. But people in fashion don’t recognise the farce in it. All of a sudden they don’t know him. But it’s OK when it’s Mel Brooks’ The Producers singing “Springtime for Hitler”.
Patricia Field is wrong to compare Galliano’s drunken bile with a Mel Brooks comedy.
Galliano’s drinking has reputedly become such a problem that at least one recent range has been produced by Dior staff and junior designers to the Dior formula, with the designer himself becoming more and more unavailable due to his drinking. Many believe that the LVMH Group which owns the House of Dior was just looking for an excuse to sack him. 
Russian supermodel Natalia Vodianova expressed sympathy for Galliano, saying he is “under influence of a disease”.
“This is beyond his power. And I know, because I'm Russian, I've met people under the influence of alcohol doing monstrous things before,'' Vodianova told Associated Press Television News as she left the show. 

Alcoholics Anonymous last year addressed the problem of foul-mouthed alcoholic friends and relatives in the award-winning “Not Invited to the wedding” advertising campaign. It was cruelly amusing, and seemed to expose a common problem faced by some alcoholics - they  are often not too sweet when drunk.
John Galliano, who is in the US undergoing rehabilitation, issued a statement in which he denied the claims of racism. It is not an apology but rather a statement of personal philosophy and belief designed to counter the perception that he is a racist. 
With criminal proceedings on foot, it is well worded to ensure no acknowledgment of guilt. 
Galliano also has some support from the French media, such as satirical  Le canard newspaper which has not given importance to the incident as they stressed that he is not a racist.
What do you think of his statement, extracted below from daily updates on the affair:
Updated Wednesday 2 March 5.03pm: John Galliano has just issued this statement regarding the events of the last week via his British legal team.

"Since the events of last Thursday evening I have not been able to make any public comment on what took place based upon advice from my French lawyer. However, given the continuing delays at the French Prosecutor's Office I should make my position clear.
I completely deny the claims made against me and have fully co-operated with the Police investigation.

A number of independent witnesses have given evidence and have told the Police that I was subjected to verbal harassment and an unprovoked assault when an individual tried to hit me with a chair having taken violent exception to my look and my clothing. For these reasons I have commenced proceedings for defamation and the threats made against me.
However, I fully accept that the accusations made against me have greatly shocked and upset people.

I must take responsibility for the circumstances in which I found myself and for allowing myself to be seen to be behaving in the worst possible light. I only have myself to blame and I know that I must face up to my own failures and that I must work hard to gain people's understanding and compassion. To start this process I am seeking help and all I can hope for in time is to address the personal failure which led to these circumstances and try and earn people's forgiveness.

I have fought my entire life against prejudice, intolerance and discrimination having been subjected to it myself. In all my work my inspiration has been to unite people of every race, creed, religion and sexuality by celebrating their cultural and ethnic diversity through fashion. That remains my guiding light.

Anti-Semitism and racism have no part in our society. I unreservedly apologise for my behaviour in causing any offence."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments for Glamablog.