Glamablog by Anna Christie - Sydney, Australia

For glamorous thinking women, aged 20 to 100.

Monday 4 April 2011

Today I nearly fell over in the street - the sling backs have to go

Today, I came close to falling in the street. As I tripped, I lunged with arms outstretched - one arm reaching for a wall, and the other to grab the arm of a smiling dark-skinned man.

As I recovered from this close call, two things sprang to mind.

First, I thought, I'm glad I wasn't holding a baby. And if you have missed the significance of this statement, you may wish to read The Daily Telegraph's report on the Jackie O baby neglect story by following this link:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/row-erupts-over-jackie-os-feeding-furore/story-e6freuy9-1226032575479#page

Second, I have to ditch these shoes.

The shoes in question are a pair of sling back, peep toe Lodi brand black suede with a 40's touch, that I purchased early this summer at Sydney's Cignetti Boutique, in King Street. They were reasonably priced - at under $300 for a smart and comfortable mid-height shoe, which I could wear to work or to parties.



They still look great, and the heel is barely worn. They certainly are not scruffy. But they have a fatal flaw - and sure could have been fatal, or at least could have caused me some considerable harm.

The problem is, they do not have a buckle for making the sling back tighter as and when the suede stretches. As a result, the sling back has just this week become too loose and is flopping down at the back.

It was just starting to bother me when today's near accident occurred.


I have enjoyed wearing them, but I am going to cut my losses and give the shoes away to someone with half size larger feet.

You see, now that the sling back has stretched it needs a larger foot.

Some time soon, those larger feet will walk into a St Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army or other Op shop where these shoes will be waiting.

Memo to self:  When I tried the shoes on I had noticed there was no buckle, but disregarded my concerns that I would not be able to tighten the sling back as it got looser. Next time, do not ignore better instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments for Glamablog.