Glamablog by Anna Christie - Sydney, Australia

For glamorous thinking women, aged 20 to 100.

Saturday 9 April 2011

Think twice before buying feather earrings

Feather earrings, trims, and even capes and jackets are currently all the rage.

I love the look of feathers - they are so opulent. They make you feel pretty as a bird. I have had them on hats, and I have a gorgeous royal blue 70s dress with matching feather trim on the bell sleeve.

I would love to indulge my love of feathers even more, but items such as feather capes and jackets are not good wardrobe investments. Feathers are not a thing that can be sewn down securely, and thus are prone to falling off.

Of course, inherently the feather is a resilient product of nature, as ancient as the dinosaurs and tough enough to be a sort of coat of armour for birds.

But try affixing them to a garment or jewellery. The two methods are by gluing or sticking a needle through the bony backbone of the feather. Neither method will ever have long term success unless the item is worn with particular care, and stored without crushing or folding.

So I decided to dip into the latest feather fashion fad by buying some feather earrings, only $19.99 at a chain store near you (I won't name it, because at heart I am still not convinced I should be buying their landfill fashions, however well-priced or well-designed).

They look great don't they?

I have worn them twice only. I don't think I will be wearing them again.

How lacking in foresight was I to buy earrings with feathers that tenderly nestle on my neck and with every slightest move ... tickle.


It's so obvious!

Maybe your ticklish area is not your neck - everyone is different after all. My feet are not in the least ticklish, but my neck, underarms and flanks are sensitive to tickling.

So if you share my ticklish zone, think twice before you buy feather earrings.

NOTE TO FRIENDS NOT TICKLISH ON NECK :

If you are not ticklish around the neck, let me know as I am planning to give the earrings away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments for Glamablog.